Monday, September 17, 2007

About my brother, Jim

Yesterday, Phoenix helped me put out a new Dragonflyer newsletter to over 1300 people. I wrote the letter on Sept. 7 when I learned of my brother's unexpected death:
ONE LESS JIM
I just got a call from my family on the mainland telling me that my dear brother, Jim Moore, was found dead this morning in his home in Idaho. I am in shock. He just turned 66 and was not in ill health. I'm sitting here, processing this devastating information as I write through my tears. My brother was notoriously a man of few words—mostly “Yep, Nope and Maybe”--but when he made sentences, his words were always directly to the point, and more often than not, quite funny. Jim's emails (onemoorejim) like this satire he sent me, saying only, “Gotta love the Onion,” were never wordy.

His signature tag was, “Life is too important to be taken seriously.” Yet Jim seriously felt the unjustness of torture and turned me on to tomdispatch.com to understand the bald truth, humorously stated, behind the news we see.

It is odd that just yesterday I was reading what a Kauai friend wrote about his buddy who died. I saved the following two sentences, thinking that I might someday want to quote these words:
“…I feel some tears well up, but these tears come from great joy, for I can feel the Light ‘on the other side’ brightening as the Oneness receives a Great Soul who has come home. It is a time of celebration.”
I know Jim was not one for flowery words or even a belief that would necessarily embrace this concept. But if ever there was a Great Soul who lived his life his way with great integrity, and shined a Bright Light, it was my brother, Jim. He cared for both our mother and father like only the most loving of a son could care. He tenderly brought up his two sons like only the most patient and loving of a father could raise his sons. And, in the tradition of his father, continued being a very caring life partner to the wife he loved and lived apart from. I’m sure that his beloved Elaine, the love of his life; his precious sons, Darren and Eric; his loving brother, Rip; his cousins (especially Wendell); and numerous friends would all say that Jim was a VERY Great Soul. Because he was such a Great Soul, having “one less Jim” is too important to not be taken seriously. He will be sorely missed.
What I find hard to accept at this moment is that Jim’s death is just so sudden…and so final. I know that time will make accepting his transition easier. Now, it comforts me to recall the Hawaiian belief that “only bodies die, not people.” Also, I give thanks that Jim did not suffer. Quickly is a good way to go. And I feel certain that if it is possible, our dear parents will embrace Jim’s Bright Light on “the other side” where the three of them can have a “coming home” party, with some good belly laughs.
In Idaho on Oct. 20, on this side of that “thin veil”, the Moore/Wyse/Starke families will come together to comfort one another, to celebrate Jim Moore, telling funny stories about our dear “Jimmy”, toasting to his stellar life--with “strawberry daiquiris”, as was his wish.

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark would burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
~Jack London~

Today, i recieved this tender email from someone I have never met:
On 9/16/07 4:15 AM, "sweetkissldy@aol.com" wrote:

Dear Babara, Thank you for all the wonderful information. I am saddened with you loss. It made me cry. Our ability to feel is one of the most powerful human emotions. Thank you for sharing your life with me.
Becky....Living in Colorado.

Aloha Becky,
Sometimes, as tears run into my ears, I laugh and thank G.O.D. for being able to feel.
Knowing that you felt what I wrote, makes me know that...we are on the same page.
I appreciate knowing that you like sharing my life with me.
Aloha,
Barbara

No comments: